Friday, June 1, 2012

The Real Cost of Knock-Offs

I read this article in my latest Dwell Magazine last night before bed and I must say, it's the best article I've read in a long time. In our culture of cheap goods and furnishings, I think this article is a great reminder of "you get what you pay for." There are more and more knock-offs popping up everywhere and I think it's important, as a designer knowing how much time goes into things, to support the trade and not give in to a knock-off just because it's cheaper. This goes for fashion as well!

Please take the time to check this article out and let me know what you think!

http://www.dwell.com/articles/The-Real-Cost-of-Rip-Offs.html

Recognize these chairs? Well, they LOOK like Eames' molded chairs but these are actually from Overstock.com and are $189.99 for two. The real thing retails for $499 each. Is $500 really too much for a chair? I don't think so (think about Arhaus, ethan allen, or any other furniture store for that matter! nothing is under $500 in there!) Is it more than I can afford? Yes. So now go read the article for some good ideas about how you can score the real thing for less and stop supporting these Chinese knock-offs!

No comments:

Post a Comment